Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: enhanced "git for CVS users" doc about shared repositories

From: Francesco Pretto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 01:46:07 +0100

Junio C Hamano ha scritto:
> 
> Honestly speaking, I am not too thrilled about making the
> cvs-migration document much longer than what it currently is.
> 

Honestly speaking, you've spent too much time in looking for every possible
objections against these simple additions. At least it should be less than the
time I've spent in measuring every single word of this patch, hoping you could
consider them for inclusion. You gave me lot of attentions (I am grateful of this,
really) so I should probably be surprised of the cleanliness of git code, of the
rigor of the code style, of the clarity of the documentation. But unfortunately,
I am not. I simply tried to make this document more useful and helpful for a
wider audience of people that could ever consider of using git in their life.
And yes, I decided to so because I had trouble myself during initial configurations.
What's the problem if a document called "git for CVS users" is more explicated?
What's the problem if it contains as many as possible informations to set up
git in a viable way and, hopefully, to learn something on how it does work?

I'm sad. Not only because you refused a documentation patch, but because i could
have sent a "Bug: Documentation Sucks!" to the ml and i would have obtained the
same thing: nothing.

Francesco

P.S.:

>> +------------------------------------------------
>> +$ usermod -a -G $group $username
>> +------------------------------------------------
> 
> I tend to edit /etc/group with vi ;-) and I suspect these two
> commands are specific to the distro you happen to use.

You were right with usermod (groupadd is ok): that "-a" switch is redhat syntax.
Six years of Linux Standard Base and this is still an unsolved problem...