Subject: Re: git push mirror mode

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:48:22 +0100

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 02:14:12PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> 
>> Barring any errors in my understanding of the matter, here's how it
>> works for git.
>>
>> git separates author from committer, so code attribution is done with
>> author, and "I verified this is sane" is done by committer. Those two
>> usually only ever differ when the user tells git commit that the author
>> was someone else than him/her self, or when rewriting history with git
>> rebase or similar. git am also maintains authorship (using the From:
>> line in emails), but sets $committer to the person running it, so when
>> you apply patches sent by email from someone else you get the code
>> attribution right by default.
>>
>> The Signed-off-by line is, in git, used as "I touched the code here and
>> agree that it may be included in the mothership repo and all future
>> releases" (the spirit of that sentence is also in
>> Documentation/SubmittingPatches).
>>
>> We also have Acked-by (as does the kernel, no? I think we inherited it
>> from there) to mean something along the lines of "I vote we include this",
>> but not always based on technical merit (ie, patches can have many acks
>> without having ever been tested).
>>
>> Suggested-by, Tested-by and Reported-by are used less often, not always
>> written in dash-form, but hopefully always self-explanatory ;-)
> 
> What that doesn't tell me is how when sending an email carrying a patch
> one ensures the attribution is correct when loaded into git.
> 

Ach damn. I had a sentence there reading "From: can also be specified in
the email body to attribute code to someone else than the sender." It's
in my clipboard, but I forgot to paste it :-/

> Having messed about with it a bit it does seem that if one wants git to
> attribute the patch to junio I have to add a From: line to the top of
> the email payload.
> 
> I'll resend so attributed.
> 

Thanks.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231