Subject: Re: [PATCH,RFC 1/2] Make the list of common commands more exclusive

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:21:34 +0100

Theodore Tso wrote:
> 
> They probably would be submitting changes back upstream using e-mail
> before they learn how to publish their own repository, so commands I'd
> be tempted to add would include git-format-patch, git-send-email, and
> git-cherry.  But these commands are pretty complicated for beginners....
> 

git format-patch could probably go in, but skip the others. I've never
used git cherry in my entire life and it's not, strictly speaking,
necessary for users to have it. There are other and easier ways to
find the same information.

I'd keep cherry-pick though. It's incredibly useful, and especially
when a commit ends up on the wrong branch which is something newbies
are likely to do when they start trying out the topic-branch workflow.
I still do it sometimes, but hardly ever stop thinking about it since
it's so easy to fix thanks to cherry-pick.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231