Subject: Re: wishlist: git info

From: Thomas Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:50:18 +0100

> you're better of just running "gitk --all" at this point. It'll show
> remote branches (with the names of remote repos prepended) and their
> relations to the local repo.
hm, this is not what I am after. I do not want to inspect the history, I
want to see where this repository "belongs" to. Gitk shows me the name
(which is reasonable, of course), but not the URL. And it is a GUI
application, which is not so perfect.

>> Probably not the most intelligent way to compute it, but you get the
>> idea. git info should give a brief overview over the current working
>> directory.
>
> Like what? None of the commands you suggested even touch it.
probably "current working directory" was not the best way to phrase it.
I mean state of the repository, which in my case is a clone of a central
repository.
My commands show (ignoring formatting): 1. the remote repositories with
URL 2. the current head commit hash 3. the date of the head commit.
Which gives a pretty decent idea about the state of the repository.

> Would
>
>     git remote -r -v && git log --max-count=1 --pretty=format:'%h %s'
>
> do what you think is what you need?
perhaps, the first command gives me an error (git 1.5.2.5). This here is
nearly ok

git remote && git log --max-count=1 --pretty=format:'%H %cD'

except the missing URL from git remote (but perhaps your options include
it with a newer git version, will test).

> May I suggest you to consider just running "git fetch -v"?
this is has side effects, and is quite slow. Your command sequence above
  is more handy (and faster).

So I can emulate git info with an alias, and this is good enough for mew
now, thanks for the hints. Perhaps a somewhat more elaborate version of
git info might be useful for others, too, but this is not urgent.

Thomas