Subject: Re: Subject: [PATCH 2/3] Let git-add--interactive read colors from .gitconfig

From: Dan Zwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:55:13 -0600

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I suggested the hash approach only because (1) it is easier to
> read than two regexp matches that are split only to keep the
> line less than 80-chars long, and (2) a misconfiguration like
> "color.foo = fred" can be caught more easily.
> 
> I do not quite understand the "after all, we're pattern
> matching" part, though.  Are you talking about "split(/\s+/, $str)" 
> your for-loop iterates over?
> 

I think we're talking about the same thing. I was referring to the split 
regular expression, and the question is, "for the current element of 
split(/\s+/, $str), does it match a color?"

Anyway, I preferred the regex version for readability, though I should 
have used the /x modifier--it would still take two lines, but it would 
not need to attempt two matches. As for misconfigured color 
configurations, should we catch that? I wrote this with the intent that 
it should ignore invalid color names, but it would probably be more 
useful to print a warning.

Dan