Subject: Re: "remote end hung up unexpectedly"

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:11:21 +0100

Clifford Heath wrote:
> Be patient with me, it's my first day on git... I like it better than 
> svn already,

Welcome to a better world.

> but I need a bit of help.
> 
> After cloning a remote repository, I wanted to update (rebase) an existing
> remote branch to get the latest master commits, so I switched to it using
> git checkout, then did a "git merge origin/master" and it updated my local
> copy so it looked reasonable... I have changes to add to this branch, but
> I wanted a proper base, so I did a "git commit" and a "git push". The push
> gave me the above message.
> 
> I've checked ssh access (don't have shell) to the other side, my PK is 
> set up.
> 
> What went wrong? How can I diagnose it further (-v doesn't help)
> 

How did you clone it? If you cloned via git:// protocol, you most likely
can't push back there. The git-daemon supports pushing, but does no
authentication.

If you cloned via ssh it's a bit harder to diagnose, since all git knows
is that the ssh-server closed its connection. For security reasons, it
doesn't necessarily tell you why it did that, so it's hard to know what
the real problem is.

> I understand that to add my further changes, I should set up a local branch
> to track this updated remote branch. But I'm assuming that the rebase must
> be done while switched to the remote branch...?
> 

Not really. You can do "git rebase --onto origin/master master". However,
since you merged origin/master earlier, a rebase will only tell you that
you're up-to-date.

"git help rebase" might be worth looking into though.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231