Subject: Re: Something is broken in repack

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:29:56 +0100

>> Is there an alternative to "git repack -a -d" that repacks everything
>> but the first pack?
> 
> That would be a pretty good idea for big repositories.  If I were to 
> implement it, I would actually add a .git/config option like 
> pack.permanent so that more than one pack could be made permanent; then 
> to repack really really everything you'd need "git repack -a -a -d".

Actually there is something like this, as seen from the source of 
git-repack:

             for e in `cd "$PACKDIR" && find . -type f -name '*.pack' \
                      | sed -e 's/^\.\///' -e 's/\.pack$//'`
             do
                     if [ -e "$PACKDIR/$e.keep" ]; then
                             : keep
                     else
                             args="$args --unpacked=$e.pack"
                             existing="$existing $e"
                     fi
             done

So, just create a file named as the pack, but with extension ".keep".

Paolo