Subject: Re: git-stash: RFC: Adopt the default behavior to other commands

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:22:26 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> 
>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 04:31:12PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>> But the original point by Sebastian hasn't been answered.  He wanted 
>>> to make the command list the stash without arguments.
>>>
>>> This was discussed already in the early days of stash and there indeed 
>>> was a suggestion to do so (I think I sided with that), but the users 
>>> did not want it.  IIRC, the argument went like: "when I say 'stash', 
>>> that is because I want a quick and immediate way to stash, and I do 
>>> not want a list.  If I do not have to have a quick way, I would create 
>>> a temporary commit on the current branch, or switch to a temporary 
>>> branch and commit there."
>> Well, "git stash save" is just five characters more - I really don't see 
>> why this would be less comfortable (and for the really lazy people there 
>> are still aliases...). On the other hand (if "list" is the default), 
>> we'd get a more consistent interface which imho is imho more important 
>> than typing five characters less.
> 
> It's more about what you're used to.  I had an alias named 'stash' long 
> before it became a git command.  And now guess how _annoying_ it would be 
> to type "git stash<Return><Curse out loud at my mouse>git stash 
> save<Return>".
> 

Not nearly as annoying as losing work because of it, and you obviously
*know* what to do when you're done cursing, while clueless-newbie-X just
hops away and uses subversion.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231