Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Make git send-email accept $EDITOR with arguments

From: Gustaf Hendeby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:07:58 +0100

On 2007-12-21 20:23, Jeff King wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 04:23:11PM +0100, Gustaf Hendeby wrote:
> 
>>> If you are going to do it that way, I suspect you want to quotemeta
>>> $compose_filename.
>> Generally that would be true, but is that really necessary when I know
>> $compose_filename is defined as:
>>
>> my $compose_filename = ".msg.$$";
> 
> I know; it is just easier to see that it is correct with the quotemeta
> (and correct in the face of somebody changing the message later).
Point taken!

> 
>> Or, should I take it that you prefer the version using split?  I didn't
>> really feel good about the possibility of splitting paths with spaces
>> that came with that one though.
> 
> I am fine with using the shell. Though keep in mind that the two
> solutions will behave differently with
> 
>   EDITOR='foo; bar'
> 
> That is, system("$editor $message") will actually invoke the shell,
> whereas system(split(/ /, $editor), $message) will _just_ split on
> whitespace. We should do whatever is consistent with the rest of the git
> commands (off the top of my head, I don't know).

A quick look at the proposed solution to the similar problem with git
commit, using code now in git tag, it seems it uses a split like
solution, though taking " and ' quoting into consideration.  On the top
of my head I can't come up with any other commands using $EDITOR.  I'll
try to find some time the next couple of days to make a reasonable
equivalent solution here.

Thanks,
	Gustaf