Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Make git send-email accept $EDITOR with arguments

From: Gustaf Hendeby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:37:12 +0100

Sorry Junio for the double, but I didn't mean to cut the CCs on this one.

On 2007-12-21 18:02, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Gustaf Hendeby <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Junio, even if this is technically not a bug fix, it would be nice to
>> get this fix into the 1.5.4 so that the usage of $EDITOR becomes more
>> consistent throughout git.
> 
> I can buy that, but at least a single line comment in front of that
> system() explaining why this is safe to do so would be beneficial.  I
> suspect that somebody would propose moving $compse_filename inside
> $GIT_DIR, now people realized $compose_filename is currently "./.msg.$$",
> and $GIT_DIR could be anything.  Quotemeta would probably be better as the
> code you are touching won't be affected by a future change to the value of
> that constant defined far away in the source.

Moving that file makes sense, I'll have a look at that, and do that as
well when I fix this patch.  After a first look at it though, I was
surprised to learn that git send-email actually wont work outside a
repository.  Ok, I can't really see any workflow where git send-email is
called from outside a git repository, but at the same time I don't see
why is should not be possible.  Are there any special reason for this?

Thanks,
	Gustaf