Subject: Re: [PATCH] Move git send-email cover letter temporary file to $GIT_DIR

From: Gustaf Hendeby <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:13:26 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> "David Symonds" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> On Dec 22, 2007 5:49 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> "David Symonds" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> On Dec 22, 2007 12:09 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>> Don't you have $repo (an instance of Git) at that point?  You
>>>>> should be able to ask repo_path() about it, shouldn't you?
>>>> Isn't git-send-email still useful outside a Git repo?
>>> Then why does it run "rev-parse --git-dir"?
>> I'm suggesting that it should still function just fine without being
>> inside a repo, so it should adequately handle "rev-parse --git-dir"
>> returning 128.
> 
> Ah, true.  Then the current behaviour to use the $(pwd) for
> temporary file area would be Ok for now.

Ok, just drop the patch I don't feel strongly about it.

However, the code today demands that git send-email is run from within a 
git repository - it seems that $repo = Git->repository() assumes that. 
I'd suggest changing this behavior so that git send-email becomes 
runnable from outside a git repository.  Unfortunately, I'm starting to 
get in above my head here, for one I really don't know the helper 
functions in Git.pm.  Is there any good place to read up on what is in 
Git.pm, except for the code itself?

/Gustaf