Subject: Re: [msysgit] how to detect git.exe directory?

From: Abdelrazak Younes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:45:34 +0100

Marco Costalba wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
>    I'm progressing on qgit installer for windows, I have switched to
> MSVC for compiling Qt4 and qgit sources and I have to say that first
> results are very good, qgit.exe now seems to work without problems or
> artifacts and the speed is much more similar to what we achieve under
> the Linux platform (read much higher).

Glad you manage to do it by yourself. Sorry for not going further with 
compilation as I promised but the git repository had only a MSVC2008 
solution file and I have only MSVC2005 here. I tried to adapt our CMake 
files to qgit but failed...

> 
> So it seems Qt+mingw is not the _best_ possible solution.

I told you that ;-)

> 
> Anyhow, under Vista you cannot simply copy qgit.exe in the git
> directory (OS barfs regarding some administrative rights, note that *I
> am* the administartor!), so to make qgit.exe work git.exe file must be
> in PATH.
> 
> To easy the user and allowing to call qgit.exe double clicking on a
> nice desktop icon I need a way to know where git.exe is installed *at
> runtime*.
> 
> So my question is: "What is the preferred way to detect git directory
> at runtime for msysgit files?"

If you use QProcess to launch git, maybe you could just use 
QProcess::workingDirectory()?

Abdel.