Subject: Re: Git and securing a repository

From: Gonzalo Garramuño <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 02:36:25 -0300

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> 
> If you read the documentation carefully you will note that the
> pre-receive hook receives input on stdin; 1 line of data per ref
> that is being pushed with the old/new SHA-1 values and the ref
> name.  The hook exits 0 to allow all changes to take place and
> can exit > 0 to abort and disallow all updates.
> 

Sure, but I cannot pass any sort of authentication to the script other 
than rely on environment variables or system calls, as git will not 
provide anything else.

To do proper authentication on a file or directory basis, I have to mix 
two things then:

A user/group base authentication/login based likely on unix permissions 
and ssh AND a pre-receive hook script that finds the user/group name and 
then checks whether the user can change that particular file/directory.

I hope the ref name is the (relative) path name to the file and not just 
the file's basename.

If so, I can see that most of what I want to do is possible.  It is just 
pretty far from being elegant or easy to set up.

To distinguish a bad commit due to tabs for example from an actual 
permission trouble.  I'm assuming that the stderr/stdout of git hooks is 
redirected back to the client?

Even with all of that, it seems it is still not possible to limit pulls 
to a certain directory only, right?

Anyway, I think I more or less have the answer I (sadly) expected. 
Git's authorization mechanism is pretty much a roll your own type thing. 
  I'll check out the python authorization script that Linus mentioned to 
see if that alleviates setup troubles a bit.

-- 
Gonzalo Garramuño
[email-masked]

AMD4400 - ASUS48N-E
GeForce7300GT
Xubuntu Gutsy