Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-am: Run git gc only once and not for every patch.

From: Michael Stefaniuc <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:23:49 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> ...
>> I do not think moving "gc --auto" outside the loop hurts in
>> practice because you are not likely to be rebasing a truly huge
>> series every day, but cruft can accumulate during "git am" run
>> and the "gc --auto" inside loop was meant to clean them up.  The
>> idea was taken from importers that run repack every once in a
>> while (e.g. cvsimport runs every 1k commits), but "gc --auto"
>> was designed to be much more lightweight than a full repack and
>> that was the reason it was placed in the loop without counting
>> "every N commits".
> 
> Having said all that, I'll take your patch as-is except that I'd
Thanks.

> drop the later part of the commit log message that explains
> Wine's practice.
Yeah, sorry about that. That should have been outside of the commit
message anyway. But forgot about it as the Wine maintainer takes only
the subject as commit message.

bye
	michael