Subject: Re: [PATCH] Allow git-mergetool to handle paths with a leading space

From: Rogan Dawes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:51:41 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Rogan Dawes <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Signed-off-by: Rogan Dawes <[email-masked]>
>>
>> ---
>> I am working on a project which has the root directory constructed
>> with a leading space. i.e. ./ dir/. "read" skips the leading space
>> char, and ends up with an incorrect filename, which can then not be
>> found. Setting IFS=\n solves this problem.
> 
> Does the project have a file that has letter 'n' (en) in its name?
> Have you tested your patch while having a conflict in that file?
> 

Yes, it works correctly.

$ git mergetool
merge tool candidates: kdiff3 tkdiff xxdiff meld gvimdiff vimdiff 
opendiff emerge vimdiff
Merging the files: 
webgoat/main/project/JavaSource/org/owasp/webgoat/lessons/BackDoors.java 
webgoat/main/project/JavaSource/org/owasp/webgoat/lessons/BlindSqlInjection.java 
webgoat/main/project/JavaSource/org/owasp/webgoat/lessons/Challenge2Screen.java

Normal merge conflict for ' 
webgoat/main/project/JavaSource/org/owasp/webgoat/lessons/BackDoors.java':
   {local}: modified
   {remote}: modified
Hit return to start merge resolution tool (kdiff3):
merge of 
webgoat/main/project/JavaSource/org/owasp/webgoat/lessons/BackDoors.java 
failed

$

My copy and paste does not show the spaces properly, since everything 
gets wrapped. but the "Normal merge conflict for ' webgoat/" line would 
have taken the ' to the next line if the space was not there. :-)

Note that the lines after "Merging the files" don't include the spaces, 
but that is just cosmetic, IMO.

Rogan