Subject: Re: Importing merges when converting repos from SVN to Git (fusing grafts in the Git history)

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:13:21 +0100

Benoit Sigoure schrieb:
> I'm going to import the repositories with `git-svn' and then I'd like to
> rewrite the entire history to take these merges in account in the Git
> repo, if possible.  This will probably help us merging the (former) SVN
> branches in our new Git repo.  I know I can simulate a merge with a
> graft and I think it will be fairly easy to write a small script that
> parses the log and generates the corresponding graft file.  Now the
> question is: how to make these grafts part of the *real* history so that
> we don't have to depend on the graft file anymore?
> 
> I know this issue has already been raised on the ML (the "how to include
> grafts are real merges in the history" thing) but I couldn't find the
> corresponding posts and can't remember the conclusion...

	git-filter-branch --tag-name-filter=cat --all

should do it. It rewrites nothing but the parenthood, so you will find
that the rewritten history shares everything with the original history up
to the first merge(s).

You better run this on a "cp -al" copy of the original converted
repository because it *overwrites* the tags.

-- Hannes