Subject: Re: [PATCH] Teach remote machinery about remotes.default config variable

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:29:39 -0500

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Why is your patch then not about git-submodule?
>
> And I still fail to see -- even for submodules -- how you begin to tackle 
> that lookup problem.
>
> Ciao,
> Dscho
>
>   
Because git-submodule is a wrapper around git-fetch and git-clone and 
git-remote, and those lacked the mechanism to honor the fact that when I 
said

       git clone -o  frotz frontz.foo.bar/foo.git

I *defined* the upstream's nickname as "frotz", not "origin", and origin 
is *not* defined so don't try to use it. As sub-modules are git 
projects, fixing this in a sub-module necessarily fixes it in any git 
project.

Mark