Subject: Re: I don't want the .git directory next to my code.

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:24:55 -0500

Daniel Barkalow wrote:
 > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Mike wrote:
 >
 >
 > Generate your tarballs with "git archive", which will also make sure 
that
 > you don't accidentally include anything else that's not committed.
 > Likewise for sending to the live site, probably.

Thanks please see my response to David about why this isn't good.

 >
 > You'll probably want to keep your history, which is what's in .git, when
 > you migrate to a different server; that's kind of the point of using
 > version control...

The git repositories should be on the development server, but should 
*never* be on the live server.  Anywhere, ever.

 > export GIT_DIR=/somewhere-else.git
 >
 > Note that this only really works if you've only got one repository;
 > there's no good way to have the repository information outside of the
 > working directory and still have which repository you're using depend on
 > which directory you're working in.
 >

Thanks. Damn. We do have several repositories, (several sites).  I'll 
try Dan's soft link suggestion.

thanks
m