Subject: git on MacOSX and files with decomposed utf-8 file names

From: Mark Junker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:17:01 +0100

Hi,

I have some files like "Lüftung.txt" in my repository. The strange thing 
is that I can pull / add / commit / push those files without problem but 
git-status always complains that thoes files are untraced (but not 
missing). My assumption is that it's a problem with the way MacOSX 
stores the file names (decomposed UTF-8). So something like 
"Lüftung.txt" becomes "Lüftung.txt".

It seems that git-status does two things:
1. Find files under version control (i.e. search for missing files)
2. Find files not under version control (i.e. search for untracked files)

I guess that the first look-up succeeds because MacOS X converts 
composed UTF-8 to decomposed UTF-8 when searching for a file. But it 
seems that the second look-up takes the file names as-is (decomposed) 
without converting them to composed UTF-8.

Is there an easy way to fix this behaviour? It's really annoying to see 
all those "untracked" files that are already under version control when 
executing a git-status.

Regards,
Mark