Subject: Re: [BUG] git send-email brakes patches with very long lines

From: Adam Piatyszek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:26:48 +0100

* Adam Piatyszek [17 I 2008 14:13]:
> The incorrect line wrapping with an exclamation mark is exactly at 990 
> column. Is there any limitation of the line size for text/plain messages?

Replying to myself again:

RFC2822 (Internet Message Format) states:

   2.1.1. Line Length Limits

     There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
     characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
     998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
     the CRLF.

RFC2821 (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) states:

   4.5.3.1 Size limits and minimums
   [...]
   text line
     The maximum total length of a text line including the <CRLF> is 1000
     characters (not counting the leading dot duplicated for
     transparency).  This number may be increased by the use of SMTP
     Service Extensions.

Now, the question is. Don't you think that "git send-email" should at 
least warn users that they are trying to send emails with patches that 
will be broken at the end?

BR,
/Adam

-- 
.:.  Adam Piatyszek (ediap)  .:.....................................:.
.:.  [email-masked]  .:................................:.