Subject: Re: [RFC] Authenticate push via PGP signature, not SSH

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:55:46 +1300

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> I just read the GnuPG manual and you are obviously correct.  The only
> way to get GnuPG to process a key is to load it onto a keyring.
> We could extract the armored (or binary) public key and load it
> onto a temporary keyring created just for the purpose of verifying
> this connection, but that's rather messy.

It should be fine just to throw the lot into a single keyring, and just
check which key verified it after the fact and whether that key was allowed.

The Perl Crypt::OpenPGP module doesn't suffer from this problem (and is
performant), though it suffers from a dependency stack that will hurt
everyone except Debian users ;-).

I think this is a non-issue.

>> $ gpg --keyring path/to/the/keyring.gpg --quiet --batch --status-fd 1 --verify some-file.tar.gz.gpg 2>|/dev/null
>> [GNUPG:] SIG_ID dw0VliO0DFjOQA3HUSHijYekQYY 2008-01-29 1201633002
>> [GNUPG:] GOODSIG BC6AFB5BA1EE761C Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
>> [GNUPG:] VALIDSIG 72B4C59ADA78D70E055C129EBC6AFB5BA1EE761C 2008-01-29 1201633002 0 3 0 17 2 00 72B4C59ADA78D70E055C129EBC6AFB5BA1EE761C
^^^ there GPG just told you which key was used.
>> [GNUPG:] TRUST_ULTIMATE

Sam.