Subject: git cvsimport fails noisily if cvs has no server support

From: Jean-Luc Herren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:28:24 +0100

Hello list!

cvs (1.12.12) can be compiled with --disable-server to omit
support for cvs servers.  Although this is not ./configure's
default, it was the default on my distro (gentoo).  git-cvsimport
fails loudly as pasted below (note that this command is part of
the test t9600-cvsimport.sh).  Nicer behavior would of course be
to detect the situation and inform the user that server support is
missing (and to skip the test).

jlh

$ git-cvsimport -a -z 0 -C module-git module
Unknown command: `server'

CVS commands are:
        add          Add a new file/directory to the repository
        admin        Administration front end for rcs
[...26 lines omitted...]
        watch        Set watches
        watchers     See who is watching a file
(Specify the --help option for a list of other help options)
Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at /home/jlh/cvs/git/t/../git-cvsimport line 345.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at /home/jlh/cvs/git/t/../git-cvsimport line 346.
Expected Valid-requests from server, but got: <unknown>
$