Subject: Re: New to git: sorry for obvious question.

From: Paul Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:41:01 +0000

Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Paul Gardiner <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've moved a project from CVS on sourceforge to git on repo.or.cz.  I
>> want a local mirror on my own home server, so that it appears amongst
>> the projects shown by my own gitweb set up, and so it gets caught by
>> my backup system.  I've created the mirror with
>>
>>   git clone --bare <remote-url> <local-dir>
>>
>> and that seems fine.  But how do I now keep it up to date.  I was
>> guessing a cron job doing some sort of git pull, but pull doesn't
>> look to work on --bare proj.git type repositories.
> 
> You probably want "git fetch". Actually, "git pull" does a fetch first
> (get the remote revisions that you don't have), and then a merge with
> your working tree.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but it doesn't seem to work with --bare
repositories that are of the form proj.git, rather than having a dir 
proj containing checkout files and a .git folder. Both pull and fetch
say that it isn't a git repository (although I can view it under gitweb,
and I can clone and pule from it).