Subject: Re: All I wanted was git-fast-export

From: Paul Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:44:47 +0000

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> 
>> With your kind help, I've been able to convert a cvs repository
>> to git, but the last several years commits start with a line
>> saying "Summary;" :-(  I thought it might not be hard to put
>> a filter between git-fast-export and git-fast-import to sort
>> it out.
> 
> The better tool for this should be filter-branch.

filter-branch does look to be brilliant for this sort of thing,
but I don't think I can use it in my case. The git repository
in question is a mirror of a live cvs repository, which I need
to keep synced up. What I was thinking was to repeatedly do:

   cvs rep  =>  git rep   => tidied git rep

using fromcvs/togit for the first step, and
git-fast-export/git-fast-import for the second. It doesn't
look to be the case that filter-branch can be used with
the source and target repositories being different, and
if I tried having one git repository that I applied
tidying to, then I don't think the syncing process would
work afterwards... or would it? Do you thing that changing
commit messages would mess up subsequent syncing? I
guess I could try it and see.

I think I need git 1.5.4 either way, and I still
haven't found a way to get that installed under SuSE 10.3

P.