Subject: Re: [GIT-P4] usage under Windows

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:32:12 +0100

Maxim Gordienko wrote:
> What are best practices to use git-p4 under windows?
> What p4 client should i use, native or cygwin one? Is any special
> perforce client configuration required?
 > What python distribution is preferred, included in cygwin or active 
python?

Depends on what your system is. Are you using Git under Cygwin or MSys? 
If you're using Cygwin normally, it's probably wise to use the cygwin 
version of perforce too.

Here's what I do:
     1) Use MSys Git. It's faster. (http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/)
     2) Use native Perforce. It's faster.
     3) Get Python from python.org. There's a binary installer.

> Where i need to put imported directory under perforce client' root or
> in any other place?

In perforce create your client spec somewhere where you don't see it. 
You never need to touch these files, but they are needed to be able to 
submit back to the perforce depot, if you need that. For cloning a 
perforce depot, you don't need a checkout (git-p4 used 'p4 print' to get 
the files directly)

Keep in mind to always rebase your patches before submitting back to a 
Perforce depot, since merges can be represented properly. So, a good 
work practice is to
    1) Clone perforce branch
    2) work, work, commit, work, commit...
    3) git p4 rebase
    4) git p4 submit

Good luck!

--
.marius