Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 13:31:17 +1300

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> I have some interesting ideas for GSoC, but unfortunately none (with 
> perhaps single exception) that I could mentor. So I think I'd list them 
> here for now, and later I'd add it to SoC2008Ideas page.
> 
> Here they are.

Great - I've put these all up on the wiki along with GitTorrent, and
noted Julian Phillips as a possible mentor for the git-svnserver.  I'll
again point out that I wrote a plan for this effort at
http://utsl.gen.nz/git/git-svnserver.txt - though that may be becoming
more and more irrelevant.

Funnily enough, I'm actually a possible /student/ this year - I'm
studying full-time this year - not in Computer Science, but hey that's
not a requirement ;-), and perhaps finishing my GitTorrent
implementation in my breaks would be a nice way to earn US$5k.  It would
be contrary to all of the "goals" of the programme¹, bar the first.  I'd
have to get the work done on a slightly different schedule because of
the hemispherical term difference... but possible.  Would this be an
abuse of the programme.  I leave the moral question open to the list; I
can easily find paid contracting work over the time anyway.  But this
would be *fun* :-)

Sam.

¹ http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_goals