Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 18:07:02 +1300

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>> Funnily enough, I'm actually a possible /student/ this year - I'm
>> studying full-time this year - not in Computer Science, but hey that's
>> not a requirement ;-), and perhaps finishing my GitTorrent
>> implementation in my breaks would be a nice way to earn US$5k.
> 
> You have my vote.  If this works out, I will be your mentor.  As you know, 
> I will not be easy to work with, but the outcome will be pleasing to you 
> _and_ me.
> 
> I think GitTorrent is a really interesting project.  And since I do not 
> have time to do it myself, I would really appreciate this to be a GSoC 
> project, preferably a successful one (which is the reason I am willing to 
> mentor it).

Excellent, well that was going to be the next question - who would be
the mentor, and what would they do?

I guess I could re-work this RFP to be a proposal to complete it;

  http://utsl.gen.nz/git/gittorrent-rfp.txt

So far, the first two milestones on the plan are basically nailed, so
that's something of a head start.  The test script fires up two nodes
that connect to each other, sends a choke message and then shuts down.
I'm quite happy with the stack being used (Moose - which is CLOS for
Perl, and Coro - coroutines, similar to stackless python).  How about I
brush that up and we can take this discussion off-list.

Sam.