Subject: Re: Will git have a baseline feature or something alike?

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 02:20:35 +1300

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Sam Vilain wrote:
>> Jakub Narebski wrote:
>>
>>> BTW. the largest git repository is 1.6G OpenOffice.org conversion,
>>> with > 2G checkout, and some large binary files under version
>>> control. Mozilla and GCC, other large repos, got under 0.5G IIRC.
>>> So kernel should be quite smaller.
>> I have an 8GB git-svn import of the KDE repository :-)
> 
> First, how large full checkout is? 

Heh, haven't tried tbh.

> And how large Subversion repo?

48GB apparently.  This repository is approx. 90% of the subversion
repository - I didn't prepare it.

> Second, is this repository tightly packed (large window, big delta
> chain)?

Yes, I don't have the details, though.

> And last, KDE repos should most probably be split into submodules.

Mmm.  Everyone always says that; what it really needs I think is someone
to really take the conversion on board and come up with a workable plan
on this front.  I think the counter-argument to this was "but you always
want to have 70% of the repository checked out for development".
Counter-counter argument is "yes but they don't always need to be deep
clones".  Anyway, it's not my baby, just thought I'd let you know about
it :-)

Sam.