Subject: Re: The 8th airing of the msysGit herald

From: Tilman Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 19:21:18 +0100

Am 03.03.2008 13:05 schrieb Johannes Schindelin:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> 
>> Jakub Narebski schrieb:
[...]
>>> For me the sign how incredibly fast the git development is is the fact
>>> that git version from a year ago is considered "ancient".
>> Yes, and that is in itself a problem for people like me who just want to 
>> use git to get some work done. The time I spend installing new git 
>> versions, reading RelNotes and sorting through a rather high-volume 
>> mailing list goes off the time I can spare for working on the Linux 
>> driver I maintain. :-(
> 
> Well, you do not _have_ to upgrade, if you are comfortable with what you 
> have...

True as far as it goes, and for appropriate values of "what I have".
Neither do I _have_ to subscribe to the mailing list, or, for that
matter, to read the release notes of a new version I install.

But git is not particularly easy to learn on my own, so I end up
asking for help. (Arguably this qualifies as "not comfortable with
what I have.") And then "ancient version" translates all too easily
into "you should upgrade to a newer one".

-- 
Tilman Schmidt                          E-Mail: [email-masked]
Bonn, Germany
Diese Nachricht besteht zu 100% aus wiederverwerteten Bits.
Ungeöffnet mindestens haltbar bis: (siehe Rückseite)