Subject: Re: The 8th airing of the msysGit herald

From: Tilman Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 00:40:17 +0100

Am 03.03.2008 23:58 schrieb Martin Langhoff:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>  But if you s/stop/slow down/ what I said, it may start to resemble a more
>>  serious question.

Well, I seriously wouldn't want you to slow down fixing bugs. :-)
Enhancing features is a slightly different matter, because that
tends to impress upon insiders a feeling of "how could we ever have
done without that?" and onwards from there to "how can anybody
seriously without that?" which then easily creates the impression
that the answer to every other question from simple users like me
is "install the newest version, it has a nifty feature that solves
your problem better than anything already present in the version
you have!"

> Given that git dev has such a frantic pace... would it make sense to
> give way to some "version inflation"?
> 
> This would give end users a more clear sense of how much things have
> changed -- a 1.4.x to 1.5.x doesn't seem like much. But a 1.5 to 2.0
> with a "new features summary" will grab a bit of attention, get its
> slashdot article, and be a more frank communication of the work that's
> happened, and what the user can expect.

You've got a point there.

But I'd like to suggest something else still: seeing that my git
mailing list folder has already grown to 363 mails again, of which
probably only a small fraction will concern me as a user - would
it be possible to have separate mailing lists for usage topics and
for discussions of ongoing development? I imagine that might help
those who just want to use git (like me) to find their way around.

Just an idea ...

Thanks,
Tilman

-- 
Tilman Schmidt                          E-Mail: [email-masked]
Bonn, Germany
Diese Nachricht besteht zu 100% aus wiederverwerteten Bits.
Ungeöffnet mindestens haltbar bis: (siehe Rückseite)