Subject: Problems building git with custom curl installation

From: Ian Hinder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:39:03 -0500

Hi,

I have had some problems building git on a machine which does not have
the distro development packages for Curl installed.  I have installed it
from source, but there are some issues.

>>From a clean download of git-1.5.4, I do:

./configure --prefix=/home/ian/software/git-1.5.4
--with-curl=/home/ian/software/curl-7.18.0

I get

  checking for curl_global_init in -lcurl... no

even though curl has been installed in /home/ian/software/curl-7.18.0

I do "make", and get

  /bin/sh: curl-config: command not found

but the make proceeds anyway. When linking, I get warnings

  cc: unrecognized option
'-R/usr/center/atlas1/numrel/software/curl-7.18.0/lib'
and "ldd git" gives

        libcurl.so.4 => not found

If I do

  NO_R_TO_GCC_LINKER=yes make

then things seem to work perfectly, and the rpath to curl is set in
the git executable.  In the course of debugging this problem, I also
found that LDFLAGS were not being passed from the configure command
line to the makefile.

I suggest that the following are bugs:

1. Configure: Specifying the curl location leads to output that
indicates that curl was not correctly located, even though a
subsequent make finds it successfully and includes it in the build.

2. Make: an error appears indicating that curl-config is not found,
which suggests that curl will not be used successfully, even though it
works fine.  It must not be looking for curl-config in the right
place, and it doesn't even seem to be necessary.

3. The use of the makefile option NO_R_TO_GCC_LINKER is not
automatically determined - perhaps an autoconf test could be written
for it?  All the machines I have tried give an error if you try to
give gcc a -R option, and gcc is being used as the linker.

4. LDFLAGS is not passed from the configure command line to the
makefile.  Modifying config.mak.in to contain the line LDFLAGS =
@LDFLAGS@ might be the appropriate fix.

-- 
Ian Hinder
[email-masked]
http://www.gravity.psu.edu/~hinder