Subject: Re: [PATCH] rebase [--onto O] A B: omit needless checkout

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:41:04 +0100

Junio C Hamano schrieb:
> Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Junio C Hamano schrieb:
>>> This teaches "git rebase [--onto O] A B" to omit an unnecessary checkout
>>> of branch B before it goes on.
>>> ...
>> This works for a frequent use-case of mine:
> 
> "Works" meaning "does not break", or "gives a great performance
> improvement that it is worth having it early in a tagged release"?

Sorry for being so terse. "Works", of course, means "works as expected",
and the "expected" part of that is that the annoyance is no longer
present, which is the unnecessary checkout.

But given how intrusive the patch is ("just to remove an unnecessary
checkout"), I'd say this is post-1.5.5 material. Also, the fact that you
had to post a fix-up is an indication that there are probably a number of
corner cases that need an extended testing period.

-- Hannes