Subject: Re: Working copy revision and push pain

From: Jonathan Watt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:35:54 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Jonathan Watt wrote:
>
>> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Jonathan Watt wrote:
>>>
>>>> There seems to be a problem with git-push when the working copy of
>>>> the directory being pushed to came from the magic revision HEAD, but
>>>> not when the working copy came from some other revision.
>>> http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitFaq#head-b96f48bc9c925074be9f95c0fce69bcece5f6e73
>>>
>>> Sidenote: I am constantly amazed how people have no problem accepting
>>> that a CVS-Server has no working directory, but all of a sudden think
>>> that a Git-server should have one, and auto-update it.
>> I think you've misread my email. (Or not read it. ;-))
>
> Well, I did.  Thank you very much.

Then my apologies. It just seems that you answered a different question.

>> I do not expect git-push to update the working copy of the repository
>> being pushed to. In fact my complaint would be more that it *does*
>> appear to modify the working copy (well, not so much modify the working
>> copy as get confused about which revision the working copy came from)
>> when the working copy came from HEAD.
>
> You changed the current branch via push.  HEAD is the tip of the current
> branch.  <rhetoric>What else should happen?</rhetoric>

I would expect it to do that, *and* note that the working copy didn't come from
what is the new head of HEAD.

> Your notion that the working tree has somehow a magic state that is not
> dependent on the current branch is somewhat strange to me.

I don't believe that's a notion that I have. I simply have a notion that git
should know which revision the working copy was checked out from, and not get
confused and think it came from a different revision. ;-)

Jonathan