Subject: What I miss from Cogito...

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:15:48 -0700

This much later, there are a few minor things I still miss from Cogito. 
  I believe fixing either would be quite trivial, so I thought I'd post 
a note.

1. The ability to clone into the current directory

    cg-clone had a -c option, which allowed cloning into the current
    directory.  This is particularly useful, since I keep my common
    dot files in a git repository, so all I need to do to set up a new
    machine is to clone that git repository over my empty home directory.

    Native git doesn't have any equivalent, other than:

    git clone -n .... tmp
    mv tmp/.git .
    rm -rf tmp
    git checkout HEAD

2. cg-restore

    Cogito separated "reset" and "restore".  This is a syntactic sugar
    issue, but having to type "git reset --hard -- path" makes me
    nervous, especially since hitting Enter at the wrong time could have
    serious and irrevocable consequences.

    I also note that this particular use of "git reset" is actually
    undocumented, but it seems to work.

Those are pretty much the only Cogito command I have found myself either 
missing or using since I made a mental note to track this stuff, a few 
months ago.

	-hpa