Subject: Re: Truncating and cleaning a imported git repositary to make it more usable

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 18:51:56 +0100

Alex Bennee wrote:
> I've succeeded in porting our whole CVS repository into git (with plenty
> of swap, cvsps is very memory hungry). [...]

It sounds like you are doing a one-time conversion.  If so, please
consider using cvs2svn [1], which can also convert to git [2].
cvsps-based tools are known to have problems with most nontrivial CVS
repositories (the contents of the output repository simply don't agree
with those of the CVS original).  IMO, the only reason to use a
cvsps-based tool is if you really need incremental conversions *and* are
willing to live with data loss.

Before you trust your new repository, please make some checks.  As a
minimum, make sure that the contents of each tag and branch tip revision
is the same as the contents that you get if you check out of CVS.  (I
bet they don't!)

Michael

[1] http://cvs2svn.tigris.org
[2] http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2git.html