Subject: Kernel.org Downtime Notice - Please read *very* important

From: "J.H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 01:01:17 +0000

Afternoon everyone,

I and the other Kernel.org admins would like to announce downtime for
ALL kernel.org machines (this includes all of the mirror machines, the
public machines and the backend master).  The downtime is scheduled to
start on or around April 2nd, 2008 on or around 0001 UTC.

After much deliberation, research and argument in #korg (along with
screaming matches between HPA and I over dinner) we are upgrading the
kernel.org machines from Fedora Core 5 to FreeBSD 7.0.  This decision
does not come lightly to the Kernel.org admins, and we would like to
point out several key things that helped us form our decision:

FreeBSD 7.0 Bests Linux in SMP Performance:
	http://bsd.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/06/1313218
	http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/7.0%20Preview.pdf

FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows 2000
	http://www.freebsd.org/maketing/os-comparison.html

We feel that we can better serve our mirrors, our users and the
community by making the switch, and we hope to have the transition done
very shortly.

- - John 'Warthog9' Hawley
Kernel.org Admin