Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/8] git-rebase.sh: Fix --merge --abort failures when path contains whitespace

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:51:20 +0200

Bryan Donlan schrieb:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:55:31AM +0200, Johannes Sixt wrote:
>> Bryan Donlan schrieb:
>>> +### Test that we handle strange characters properly
>>> +work_dir="$(pwd)/test \" ' \$ \\ dir"
>> In effect, you modify only this test to stress-test strange characters,
>> but other tests in the test suite still run in a "sane" environment. IOW,
>> I don't think you should go to this extreme for this one test only. The
>> better approach would be to rename 'trash' in test-lib.sh to this strange
>> name so that all tests suffer from a challenging environment.
> 
> I can do that, but it'd have to come as the last patch in the patchset,
> or it would obviously cause test failures. My goal here was to ensure
> that the bug I fixed in the patch would be tested in an isolated manner.

I for my taste could live without a test because the fix is so obvious.
Given that you have to prepend 'cd "$work_dir"' to *all* the tests, this
really just highlights that for the purpose of this test the name 'trash'
of the regular test directory is just too simple ;)

Of course, it's Junio's draw, and he likes to have tests for fixes that
are submitted.

> If you like I can add a change to the trash directory to the next rev of
> the patchset.

Yes, why not?

>>> -		git reset --hard pre-rebase
>>> -		test_must_fail git rebase'"$type"' master &&
>>> -		test -d '$dotest' &&
>>> +		git reset --hard pre-rebase &&
>>> +		test_must_fail git rebase$type master &&
>>> +		test -d \"\$dotest\" &&
>> I could imagine that the missing && after the git reset is deliberate. Mike?
> 
> I assumed that if git reset failed here we'd probably want to know :)

On second sight, this indeed looks just like an omission and your change
is good.

-- Hannes