Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] pretty=format: Add %d to show decoration

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:40:38 +0200

Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
> With this patch, "git log --decorate --pretty=format:%d", shows the 
> name decoration (i.e. whenever a commit matches a ref, that ref's 
> name is shown).

Cute idea. :)

What about objects with multiple decoration?  How about producing a
comma-separated list like git-log does?

How about making %d imply --decorate?  You could load the decorations
lazily when it's first encountered.

> Maybe %d should expand to " (<name decoration>)" instead of "<name 
> decoration>"?

foobar2000 (http://foobar2000.org/) has a kind of music tagging
language, and one of its features might be interesting for us here: you
can group a placeholder and other stuff inside brackets.  The construct
resolves to an empty string if the placeholder is NULL, i.e. in your
example "[ (%d)]" would resolve to either " (the decoration)" or "",
depending on the object having a decoration or not.  (It might be a
better fit for --pretty=format: to use %[ and %].)

By the way, your patch reminds me that I wanted to add a placeholder for
git-describe's output.  I doubt I'll find time for that in the near
future, though..

René