Subject: Re: Reporting bugs and bisection

From: David Newall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:34:05 +0930

Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> On 4/15/08, David Newall <[email-masked]> wrote:
>   
>> James Morris wrote:
>>  > I don't know how to solve this, but suspect that encouraging the use of
>>  > reviewed-by and also including it in things like analysis of who is
>>  > contributing, selection for kernel summit invitations etc. would be a
>>  > start.  At least, better than nothing.
>>
>> Would it be hard to keep count of the number of errors introduced by
>>  author and reviewer?
>>     
>
> I've found quite a few errors in kernel-userland APIs, but I'm not
> sure that this sort of negative statistic would be helpful -- e.g.,
> more productive developers probably also introduce more errors.

We can already see which developers are more active.  What we can't see
is who is careless, which would be useful to know.  It would also be
useful to know who is careless in approving changes, because they share
responsibility for those changes.  It would be a good thing if this
highlighted that some people are behind frequent buggy changes.