Subject: Re: Git on Windows, CRLF issues

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:31:23 +0200

Peter Karlsson schrieb:
> I have began moving old repositories for Windows-based software to Git.
> Since the tool I am moving from stores everything with CRLF line endings
> and have RCS-like keyword expansion, I'm treating it all as binary data
> when exporting to Git, i.e I have CRLF in the checked-in data (and I do
> want that, since this is Windows-only sources).
> 
> Now the latests msysgit comes along and (finally!) sets core.autocrlf to
> true by default.
> 
> How do I handle this without having everyone breaking check-ins? I can't
> require everyone to do unset core.autocrlf globally. Can I do that with
> gitattributes?

I see 2 other options:

1. Create a custom setup of msysgit that has core.autocrlf set to false.

2. You are still converting repositories? Convert the files in your
repository to LF. I did it like this, but it was a week -or more- worth of
labor to get the scripts in a shape that I could reproduce the conversion
(and it all happened before core.autocrlf even existed).

-- Hannes