Subject: Re: git remote update -> rejected

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:26:33 +0200

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> 
>>>> Okay, how about this: take Peff's patch, but add a warning if 
>>>> --mirror is used on a non-bare repository?
>>> Sounds good to me. Indeed, giving a warning is _very_ good idea as 
>>> --mirror is potentially, even likely, destructive with local changes 
>>> and working directory.
>> What about changing --mirror to add a push line instead of a fetch line?
> 
> I would not expect --mirror to add a push line when "git-remote add" 
> without --mirror does not a push line either.

Let me reverse the question.  When does it make sense to use "git-remote 
add --mirror" with the current implementation?

It's not a rhetoric question.  I know when it would make sense to have 
push refspecs on a remote for which you plan to use "git push --mirror" 
(and in "next", that is the case if you create the remote with 
"git-remote add --mirror").  But I'm a total newbie for things that do 
not fit my workflows, so I don't know when it would make sense to pull 
from that kind of remote.

Paolo