Subject: Re: git remote update -> rejected

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:23:36 +0200

>>> What about changing --mirror to add a push line instead of a fetch line?
>>
>> I would not expect --mirror to add a push line when "git-remote add" 
>> without --mirror does not a push line either.
> 
> Let me reverse the question.  When does it make sense to use "git-remote 
> add --mirror" with the current implementation?
> 
> It's not a rhetoric question.  I know when it would make sense to have 
> push refspecs on a remote for which you plan to use "git push --mirror" 
> (and in "next", that is the case if you create the remote with 
> "git-remote add --mirror").  But I'm a total newbie for things that do 
> not fit my workflows, so I don't know when it would make sense to pull 
> from that kind of remote.

And actually, I just realized that what I expected from --mirror is this:

[remote "mirror"]
         url = blah
         fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/mirror/*
         push = +refs/heads/*:refs/heads/*
         mirror

... so that I can check the state of the mirror with "git log -1 
mirror/master", and still the push refspec is there so that my local 
remotes are not entirely mirrored.

Paolo