Subject: Re: git-gui hangs on read

From: Gustaf Hendeby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:45:40 +0200

On 04/25/2008 03:02 AM, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> Gustaf Hendeby <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 04/24/2008 03:00 AM, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>>> Just turn the d**n spell checker off:
>>>
>>> 	git config --global gui.spellingdictionary none
>>>
>>> That will keep us from evening trying to launch aspell, and since
>>> its global (in your ~/.gitconfig) it should default into every
>>> repository you have, or create.
>> Thanks, even better!  Though, I can't seem to find this option (and 
>> other ones indicated by the source) documented anywhere.  Where would be 
>> the place to put such information?  For git options the place seems to 
>> be the git config help, but given that the git gui is maintained 
>> independently the choice is less obvious to me.
> 
> As far as documenting the git-gui options, maybe they should go into
> either Documentation/git-gui.txt or into Documentation/config.txt
> in the main git.git project.  The latter almost makes sense because
> git-gui does store its preferences in the same config file, and that
> file describes the valid keys and what they mean.
> 

My first thought about the documentation was to put it in 
Documentation/config.txt but wouldn't that be strange if someone uses a 
git-gui other than the one bundled with the git version used?  On the 
other hand, if the keys don't ever change that is not a big problem.

I'll try to have a go at writing some docs, but it won't be until late 
next week because my daytime work is killing me right now.

/Gustaf