Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] make "git fetch" update all fetch repositories

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:05:37 +0200

Alex Riesen wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini, Tue, Apr 29, 2008 06:52:25 +0200:
>> Alex Riesen wrote:
>>> Paolo Bonzini, Mon, Apr 28, 2008 20:19:48 +0200:
>>>>> my v4l2
>>>>> repo (which is a pretty collection of all kinds of remotes)
>>>> I can add a global boolean configuration to change the default value 
>>>> of  skipDefaultRemote.
>>>>
>>> With the default NOT so that current behaviour stays?
>> No, absolutely.  In fact if I were you I would set skipDefaultUpdate  
>> *now* on the remotes of that repo.
> 
> And all the others, who don't read this discussion, are just expected
> to adapt?
> 

One for Alex's side here. I have several remotes in many of the repos
I'm using. Some of them point to my colleagues laptops, where temporary
git-daemons sometimes serve content, and sometimes it doesn't.

For me no refs would be updated, but they would generate errors which
would make real errors harder to see.

If you're gonna change the default of something, make really sure it
doesn't ever destroy anything for anybody. Otherwise, make it configurable
and off by default.

How about renaming "skipDefaultUpdate" to "fetch.fetchAllRemotes" and
let it default to false?

Although when I come to think about it, you'd probably want to mark
some remotes for auto-fetching while keeping others on "manual" fetch.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231