Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] make "git fetch" update all fetch repositories

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:57:57 +0200

>> Man, that's what release notes are for.  You are expected to read those.
> 
> So you actually read the release-notes for every application you have
> installed?

Not for every one, but I do for some applications.  Right now only git 
and autoconf come to mind.  Especially searching for the magic words 
"backwards incompatible" -- the more "power user" you are of an 
application, the more you should read the release notes.  And in the 
case of git I don't consider myself a power user but I learnt quite a 
few tricks from the release notes.

> Remind me to never employ you. I doubt you'd ever get any
> work done.

Well, the same should apply to reading mailing lists...

> Failing that, would you get slightly annoyed, or perhaps even quite
> vexed if you find out that insert-program-used-to-do-some-work-with-here
> did omething stupid that made you lose some of your work?

Sorry, how does the patch make you lose some of your work (as opposed to 
some of your time, which is possible as is the case for every backwards 
incompatible change)?

1) what about the reflog?

2) the patch does not touch refs/heads/* unless you are tweaking your 
configuration (and quite heavily so).  IMHO that's using enough rope 
that you really ought to know about the reflog and... look for backwards 
incompatible changes in the release notes!

3) your complaint was that it gave errors.  Alex did talk about losing 
his work, but questions 1 and 2 would apply to him too.

4) one man's stupidity is another man's... [fill in]  In particular, did 
you understand the rationale for this change?  Do you have any 
alternative ideas?

Paolo