Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] make "git fetch" update all fetch repositories

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:02:02 +0200

>> Sorry, how does the patch make you lose some of your work (as opposed 
>> to some of your time, which is possible as is the case for every 
>> backwards incompatible change)?
> 
> Because I will lose some of the refs and then have to dig them up in the
> reflog.
> 
> I'm not comfortable with the reflog. I appreciate its usefulness, but I'm
> thoroughly unhappy when I'm forced to use it.

So am I, but still it would lose time (to dig refs up in the reflog), 
not work (e.g. having to rewrite code).  I think we're in agreement on 
this part.

> Yes, I understand the rationale, and I do have an alternative idea, which
> is to make it configurable.

Then sorry, but I think you don't understand the rationale.  The cover 
letter has excerpts from other git hackers' e-mails that explain it 
better than I can.  But shortly speaking, the point of the patch is to 
remove the "magic" operation of "git fetch" as "git fetch origin". 
Removing is quite the opposite of "add a configuration option that 
disables it, but leave the old behavior as default".

> Now that I think about it, it's probably useful to have it
> togglable via command-line switch as well. Something along the
> lines of "git fetch --all-remotes", perhaps.

Making it accessible via a command-line switch is pointless, as we 
already have "git remote update" for that.

Paolo