Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] make "git fetch" update all fetch repositories

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:40:24 +0200

>>> Some of them point to my colleagues laptops, where temporary
>>> git-daemons sometimes serve content, and sometimes it doesn't.
>> Again, you should probably have skipDefaultUpdate set on those remotes even
>> now!
> 
> Umm, why?

Because I don't want to make sure my colleagues *all* have their laptops 
turned on when I run "git remote update" (on the default group).  Those 
remotes should be fetched individually as the need arises, or maybe with 
a special group, but not by default.

>> A patch that makes a "wrong" (or incomplete) configuration more
>> apparent, is not necessarily wrong in itself.
> 
> Your suggested changes are actively _making_ them wrong.  They are not 
> wrong now.

Sure, you can consider a configuration that affects "git remote update" 
to be correct if you're not using "git remote update" at all.  But a 
wrong you never saw/experienced is not a right.  My changes are actively 
making the wrongness apply more broadly, that's clear.

> Happily, I am quite certain that Junio will not allow such dramatic 
> changes into Git, at least not without a long, long time of warning, 
> during which I can safely undo the changes in my personal branch.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't go in 1.5.6 -- indeed.

Actually I think the "git pull" changes (patches 5 and 6) and the 
matching refs refspec (patches 1 and 2) can go in sooner, but I sort of 
expect the other 3 patches to lie in limbo for a longer time.

> I absolutely hate the idea of "origin" _not_ being special.

Well, Junio and Shawn convinced me of the contrary, so I guess they 
disagree with you on this one...

Paolo