Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] make "git fetch" update all fetch repositories

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:15:02 +0200

>> 2) the patch does not touch refs/heads/* unless you are tweaking your  
>> configuration (and quite heavily so).  IMHO that's using enough rope  
>> that you really ought to know about the reflog and... look for backwards  
>> incompatible changes in the release notes!
> 
> Since when do you depend on people reading release notes and
> immediately and correctly changing their behaviour?

I don't, that's why I never expected all patches to go in 1.5.6.

I sent them together to provide a single coherent series and an aim for 
a transition plan -- which I'd prefer to work out with the git 
community, who knows the release mechanics much better than I do.  Jeff 
King's reply to the cover letter is a start towards that; your e-mails 
are also a start towards that, even though I don't think your transition 
plan is feasible (also because it would break "git remote update" 
completely).

>> 4) one man's stupidity is another man's... [fill in]  In particular, did  
>> you understand the rationale for this change?  Do you have any  
>> alternative ideas?
> 
> Do you have a convincing one by now?

See the (long) cover letter.

> And an acceptable transition plan?
> ("Read RelNotes!", yes, you mentioned. Another one?)

See above.

Paolo