Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/7] make "git fetch" update all fetch repositories

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:41:57 +0200

>> I sent them together to provide a single coherent series and an aim for  
>> a transition plan -- which I'd prefer to work out with the git  
>> community, who knows the release mechanics much better than I do.  Jeff  
>> King's reply to the cover letter is a start towards that; your e-mails  
> 
> Hmm... Which one do you mean? I cannot find his reply to message-id
> <[email-masked]>

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/80720

>> are also a start towards that, even though I don't think your transition  
>> plan is feasible (also because it would break "git remote update"  
>> completely).
> 
> Which part of "warn people in git-fetch" will break "git remote update"?
> Or what will break after the "git remote add" start setting
> skipDefaultUpdate?

People will expect the new remotes to be, ehm, updated by "git remote 
update".

> It is not. It seem to propose, instead of fixing existing behaviour,

Do you know how to "fix" existing behavior?

I mean, I just wonder why as long as I had one remote only, I could 
write "git push", while now I have to write "git push origin && git push 
mirror".  The patch to "git fetch" comes from this observation too, and 
I think it is a good idea, even though I'm less attached to it and it 
would influence my workflow much less.

Paolo