Subject: Re: detecting rename->commit->modify->commit

From: Ittay Dror <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 18:30:46 +0300

Jeff King wrote:
> Of course it doesn't work here. You have two files, one containing
> "hello\n" and one containing "hello\nworld\n". Their similarity is 50%,
> which is not enough to consider it a rename. And I would argue that's
> reasonable, since the files have only one line in common. The problem is
> that you are using a toy example (which is why my example used
> /usr/share/dict/words, which has enough content to definitively call it
> a rename).
>
>   
Well, I would have expected git to notice that the file was renamed in 
one commit and keep tracking changes afterwards.

Also, as I wrote in another post, this happened to me with real files of 
a real source tree, and with very small changes (and sometimes not at 
all) to these files.

Ittay

-- 
Ittay Dror <[email-masked]>
Tikal <http://www.tikalk.com>
Tikal Project <http://tikal.sourceforge.net>